The Empty Throne: A Novel (Saxon Tales #8) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 8 in the Saxon Tales series.
- #1: The Last Kingdom (Saxon Tales #1) (Paperback): $16.99
- #2: The Pale Horseman: A Novel (Saxon Tales #2) (Paperback): $16.99
- #3: Lords of the North: A Novel (Saxon Tales #3) (Paperback): $16.99
- #4: Sword Song: The Battle for London (Saxon Tales #4) (Paperback): $16.99
- #5: The Burning Land: A Novel (Saxon Tales #5) (Paperback): $16.99
- #6: Death of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #6) (Paperback): $16.99
- #7: The Pagan Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales #7) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #9: Warriors of the Storm: A Novel (Saxon Tales #9) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #10: The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales) (Large Print / Paperback): $27.99
- #11: War of the Wolf: A Novel (Saxon Tales #11) (Large Print / Paperback): $28.99
- #12: Sword of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #12) (Large Print / Paperback): $29.99
- #13: War Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales #13) (Hardcover): $28.99
The eighth installment of Bernard Cornwell’s New York Times bestselling series chronicling the epic saga of the making of England, “like Game of Thrones, but real” (The Observer, London)—the basis for The Last Kingdom, the hit television series.
Britain, early tenth century AD: a time of change. There are new raids by the Vikings from Ireland and turmoil among the Saxons over the leadership of Mercia. A younger generation is taking over.
Æthelred, the ruler of Mercia, is dying, leaving no legitimate heir. The West Saxons want their king, but Uhtred has long supported Æthelflaed, sister to King Edward of Wessex and widow of Æthelred. Widely loved and respected, Æthelflaed has all the makings of a leader—but could Saxon warriors ever accept a woman as their ruler? The stage is set for rivals to fight for the empty throne.
About the Author
BERNARD CORNWELL is the author of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling Saxon Tales series, which includes The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land, Death of Kings, The Pagan Lord, and, most recently, The Empty Throne and Warriors of the Storm, and which serves as the basis for the hit television series The Last Kingdom. He lives with his wife on Cape Cod and in Charleston, South Carolina.
“This novel easily stands alone, with perfectly choreographed battle scenes and political infighting . .. . The lusty, rollicking narrative.... is totally accessible and great good fun. Cornwell’s done it again. New readers: Draw a flagon of ale, and be prepared to find the first seven in the series.”
“Excellent . .. Mysticism, history, brutality, muck, and mire combine to splendid effect in this compelling fictional version of the birth of a great nation.”
“Verdict: Once again, Cornwell perfectly mixes the history and personalities of tenth-century England with several doses of battles, trickery, and treachery. Is there a fan of historical fiction anywhere who has not yet read a Cornwell? If so, hook them on this series, and they will knight you.”
— Library Journal
“The Empty Throne is Cornwell’s best Uthred tale yet. If there is a throne for writers of this particular type of muscular historical fiction, then Cornwell is firmly wedged in it. And on this evidence, he is not budging.”
— The Times (London)
“Cornwell once again shows his acknowledged mastery of fast-paced storytelling, full of exciting incident and an unflinching approach to bloodshed.”
— Daily Mail
“An effortlessly engaging ride.”
— Mail on Sunday, EVENT Magazine