The Burning Land: A Novel (Saxon Tales #5) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 5 in the Saxon Tales series.
- #1: The Last Kingdom (Saxon Tales #1) (Paperback): $16.99
- #2: The Pale Horseman: A Novel (Saxon Tales #2) (Paperback): $16.99
- #3: Lords of the North: A Novel (Saxon Tales #3) (Paperback): $16.99
- #4: Sword Song: The Battle for London (Saxon Tales #4) (Paperback): $16.99
- #6: Death of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #6) (Paperback): $16.99
- #7: The Pagan Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales #7) (Paperback): $16.99
- #8: The Empty Throne: A Novel (Saxon Tales #8) (Paperback): $16.99
- #9: Warriors of the Storm: A Novel (Saxon Tales #9) (Paperback): $16.99
- #10: The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales) (Large Print / Paperback): $27.99
- #11: War of the Wolf: A Novel (Saxon Tales #11) (Large Print / Paperback): $28.99
- #12: Sword of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #12) (Large Print / Paperback): $29.99
- #13: War Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales #13) (Hardcover): $28.99
The fifth installment of Bernard Cornwell’s New York Times bestselling Saxon Tales chronicling the epic saga of the making of England, “like Game of Thrones, but real” (The Observer, London)—the basis for The Last Kingdom, the hit television series.
At the end of the ninth century, with King Alfred of Wessex in ill health and his heir still an untested youth, it falls to Alfred’s reluctant warlord Uhtred to outwit and outbattle the invading enemy Danes, led by the sword of savage warrior Harald Bloodhair. But the sweetness of Uhtred’s victory is soured by tragedy, forcing him to break with the Saxon king. Joining the Vikings, allied with his old friend Ragnar—and his old foe Haesten—Uhtred devises a strategy to invade and conquer Wessex itself. But fate has very different plans.
Bernard Cornwell’s The Burning Land is an irresistible new chapter in his epic story of the birth of England and the legendary king who made it possible.
About the Author
BERNARD CORNWELL is the author of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling Saxon Tales series, which includes The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land, Death of Kings, The Pagan Lord, and, most recently, The Empty Throne and Warriors of the Storm, and which serves as the basis for the hit television series The Last Kingdom. He lives with his wife on Cape Cod and in Charleston, South Carolina.
“Cornwell, a master of martial fiction, makes history come alive with his rousing battlefield scenes.”
— Margaret Flanagan, Booklist
“Cornwell (Agincourt) has been described as a master of historical fiction, but that may be an understatement. Cornwell makes his subject material come alive. Better, his major protagonist is totally believable and human.”
— Robert Conroy, Library Journal
“Slathered in blood and gore, Saxon warlord Uhtred of Bebbanburg hacks his way through the ninth century in the exciting fifth installment to bestseller Cornwell’s Saxon Tales series. . . . Vivid descriptions of merciless battlefield slaughter, rape, and destruction are artfully related by a masterful storyteller.”
— Publishers Weekly