The Last Kingdom (Saxon Tales #1) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 1 in the Saxon Tales series.
- #2: The Pale Horseman: A Novel (Saxon Tales #2) (Paperback): $16.99
- #3: Lords of the North: A Novel (Saxon Tales #3) (Paperback): $16.99
- #4: Sword Song: The Battle for London (Saxon Tales #4) (Paperback): $16.99
- #5: The Burning Land: A Novel (Saxon Tales #5) (Paperback): $16.99
- #6: Death of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #6) (Paperback): $16.99
- #7: The Pagan Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales #7) (Paperback): $16.99
- #8: The Empty Throne: A Novel (Saxon Tales #8) (Paperback): $16.99
- #9: Warriors of the Storm: A Novel (Saxon Tales #9) (Paperback): $16.99
- #10: The Flame Bearer (Saxon Tales) (Large Print / Paperback): $27.99
- #11: War of the Wolf: A Novel (Saxon Tales #11) (Large Print / Paperback): $28.99
- #12: Sword of Kings: A Novel (Saxon Tales #12) (Large Print / Paperback): $29.99
- #13: War Lord: A Novel (Saxon Tales #13) (Hardcover): $28.99
The first installment of Bernard Cornwell’s New York Times bestselling series chronicling the epic saga of the making of England, “like Game of Thrones, but real” (The Observer, London)—the basis for The Last Kingdom, the hit Netflix series.
In the middle years of the ninth century, the fierce Danes stormed onto British soil, hungry for spoils and conquest. Kingdom after kingdom fell to the ruthless invaders until but one realm remained. And suddenly the fate of all England—and the course of history—depended upon one man, one king.
From New York Times bestselling storyteller Bernard Cornwell comes a rousing epic adventure of courage, treachery, duty, devotion, majesty, love, and battle as seen through the eyes of a young warrior who straddled two worlds.
About the Author
BERNARD CORNWELL is the author of the acclaimed New York Times bestselling Saxon Tales series, which includes The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land, Death of Kings, The Pagan Lord, and, most recently, The Empty Throne and Warriors of the Storm, and which serves as the basis for the hit television series The Last Kingdom. He lives with his wife on Cape Cod and in Charleston, South Carolina.
“Intoxicating….Thrilling….Cornwell conveys the disquiet of change and the melancholy of extinction as few historical novelists manage to.”
— Washington Post Book World
“Enter Cornwell’s vividly drawn ninth-century Kingdom … after this dip into the Dark Ages, we want to go back.”
— Entertainment Weekly
“Enthralling ... the desperate, heroic struggle of Alfred “the Great” ... against the seemingly invincible Vikings.
— Wall Street Journal
“History comes alive.”
— Boston Globe
“A crackling good storyteller.”
— Publishers Weekly
“Cornwell .... makes the usually gloomy ninth century sound like a hell of a lot of fun.”
— Kirkus Reviews
“Highly recommended … another great historical series in the making.”
— Library Journal (starred review)
“Masterful....[An]irresistible epic adventure....Cornwell deserves praise for his mesmerizing narrative finesse and his authentic historical detailing.”